Compiled from THE ADVERTISER (Hurstbridge), FRIDAY, MARCH 29, & APRIL 5-12, 1935







Winning the toss Doreen decided to make first use of the wicket at Eden Park for the final of the Whittlesea District Competition.


Wood was bowled by a short ball from Henry Clancy, which he anticipated would fly high, but was surprised when it kept low and bowled him.  For Doreen, J. Herbert (25) and J. Brennen (23) were the only scorers.  The champion batsman, Owens, was soon back in the pavilion with only 1 run to his credit.  Tom Draper (4/21) and Henry Clancy (3/23) were the wickets takers, but the average goes to Eric Blair (2/8).


Whittlesea were delighted with only having to catch 88, but were soon in trouble and at stumps were 5/35. Harold Beney (15) was the only scorer. Fred Perrins is 7 not out.  Herbert bowled really well and obtained 3/9, while W. Sutherland had 2/6.  Tom Draper, in attempting to catch Herbert in the outfield, misjudged the catch and was struck on the head.  Frank Howell was also hit on the head by a ball.  Both players soon continued.  The match is still open and Whittlesea has some solid bats still to play.  A close finish should result.




Resuming at 5 down for 35 in reply to a score of 88 by Doreen, Fred Perrins (7) and Eric Blair (3) faced the bowling of Sutherland and Herbert.  Realising the serious position, both batsmen began cautiously, but runs later came freely.  From 5/29 these two took the score to 70 before Perrins was run out.  Howell followed and was also runout.  Blair continued to hit freely when he was deceived by a break from Nelson, and was bowled after a well-made 29 when the side was in a perilous position.  The remaining batsmen did not remain too long, but the score reached 86, or two behind their opponent’s first attempt.




A. Wood and C. Welch opened for Doreen but Welch was soon out to a nice catch by Charles Clancy.  Brennan followed and after making 5 was bowled by Tom Draper.  W. Sutherland did not last long, a particularly fine catch in slips by Draper dismissing him.  E. Owens was next and with Wood batting slowly yet solidly, a nasty partnership appeared to be developing.  However, Henry Clancy bowled Owens for 12.  This is the fourth time out of five innings, totalling 27 runs that Clancy has bowled Owens.  Draper pulled off another good catch to dismiss Cain for 5.  Other batsmen made a few and the side was back in the pavilion with only 59 to its credit.

The bowling average went to Eric Blair, 3/9; Charles Clancy obtained 3/14, Henry Clancy 2/12, and Tom Draper 2/17.

A. Wood (14) carried his bat.  Whittlesea did not open and have a small total of 62 runs to make to win the premiership.




The third, and last day’s play began under ideal conditions.  The wicket was in good order thanks to the Eden Park Club.


Tom Draper and Harold Beney opened for Whittlesea, against the bowling of T. Herbert and P. Nelson.  Nelson bowled unchanged from the north end throughout the innings.  Beney gave a chance in the second over, but the spinning ball and the wind swung it away from J. Herbert, the point fieldsman, and the batsman settled down and gave the excited spectators a fine display of batting, carrying the score to 34 before Beney, playing back to Nelson, was beaten by a leg break.  Beney, who had scored 19, was congratulated warmly on his return to the boundary.  Meanwhile, Fred Perrins had joined Draper, but with only one added to the score, he was out lbw to Sutherland, who has replaced J. Herbert.  Arthur (Archie) Funston, Whittlesea’s youngest member, joined Draper but after getting Sutherland away for 1, fell an lbw victim to the wily Nelson, and three were down for 36.  Charles Clancy, the Whittlesea veteran, joined Draper, and the score was brought up to 50, due mainly to forceful batting from Clancy, before Draper also fell an lbw victim to Nelson.  Tom Draper had made 13, all singles.  His innings had greatly helped to put his side into a winning position.  At this stage Whittlesea had six wickets in hand and still needed 12 runs.


Eric Blair, the Whittlesea captain, joined Clancy, who was batting well, but he also fell victim to Nelson, being caught by Woods at point, very close in (5/58).  Henry Clancy now joined his father, but was bowled by Nelson, before scoring, and six were down for 58.  Four to win and four wickets in hand.  Frank Howell joined Clancy and with two delightful shots to leg, secured a single off Nelson and a 2 off Herbert, who had come on again in place of Sutherland, but he also became an lbw victim, giving Herbert his first wicket.  The scores were now 7/61 and Tom Steege, the next batsman, with a beautiful on drive, secured the winning run.  Whittlesea batted on for a few minutes, during which Charles Clancy was caught off Nelson when attempting a big hit, and both Tom Steege and M (Bert) Blair, the following batsman, added one single each.


Eric Blair then closed the innings at 8/64.  After the match the Eden Park ladies supplied afternoon tea, which was greatly appreciated by all present.


Mr E. Owens, on behalf of Doreen, and Mr. E. Blair, on behalf of Whittlesea, thanked the ladies for their kindness in supplying the afternoon tea each Saturday.  Mr. Dawson, president of the Association, seconded by Mr. Allchin, vice president, thanked the ladies on behalf of the Association.  Mrs. Chalmers ably responded on behalf of the ladies.  Scores:-


DOREEN - First Innings 88; Second Innings 59

WHITTLESEA - First Innings 86; Second Innings 8/64.


Full 1934/35 GF Match Report